The fiberconverter for our Internet connection broke this weekend and I had to provide Internet access for the rest of my family until the converter was repaired. What to do?
My Windows 7 laptop has an internal 3G modem, maybe I could share that?
I found the following description that was very useful:
Following the description I created a temporary Wireless Access Point as described in the following steps:
- I started an elevated command prompt.
- Then I executed the following command to configure the new wireless network:
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=temp key=mysecretkey
- I opened up the “Network and connection sharing center” and clicked on “change settings for network adapters”.
- Then I looked for the Wireless Networkconnection with the highest number and that was configured with the Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter. In my case that network connection was called Wireless Network Connection 3.
- I renamed the connection to WLAN Hotspot and deselected all objects except Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4).
- When the Wireless connection was renamed I opened up properties for the 3G connection.
- On the Sharing tab I selected “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection”, in the “Home networking connection” textbox I entered “WLAN hotspot”.
- To start the hotspot I executed the following command in the already open command prompt:
netsh wlan start hostednetwork
To remove the settings and cleanup the configuration, just do as follows:
- Stop the hotspot by executing the following in an alevated command prompt:
netsh wlan stop hostednetwork
- Go to the “Network and connection sharing center” and click on “change settings for network adapters”.
- Right-click on the 3G connection and select properties.
- On the “sharing” tab, deselect the checkbox next to “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection” and click OK.
- Finally execute the following command in an elevated command prompt:
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=disallow